Pages

Aug 12, 2010

31 Days of Experiencing New Things - July Wrap Up

While we're well into August's 31 Day project (Laughter), July was 31 Days of Experiencing New Things and I wanted to do this wrap-up for July before too much more time passed.  

July's project made me aware of how many little things I have never tried or haven't seen/done/visited/experienced in a very long time. I quickly realized that there were things I could easily do right here at home or within driving distance.  I also realized that 31 Days would give me a taste of looking for new experiences, but as I built my list of things I wanted to do, it would take much longer than one month to look into them all.  That's good -- I never want to run out of new experiences and things to do.  Some things cost money and had to be tabled for awhile, other things I wanted to wait and share with a friend to have the experience with me, while yet others simply didn't get done because the month rushed by so incredibly fast. 

I have the beginnings of a "bucket list" which are larger desires that I want to accomplish in my lifetime (see the Aurora Borealis in person, go to New Zealand, etc.), but for new experiences that were left overflowing beyond the month of July, I thought I'd end this particular project with a list of new experiences yet to happen.  This is a "brain dump" where I can capture these desired experiences in one place and pull from them when I have time.  I hope to continue the trend of finding something new on a daily or weekly basis. This is a bucket list on a much smaller scale, so I should be able to continue to experience these things in abundance.  

  • Write a book (even an eBook), get published
  • Ride in a hot air balloon
  • Attend more balloon festivals
  • Attend a kite festival
  • Get my photography placed in several art galleries or stores. 
  • Take Irish dancing lessons 
  • Participate in a geo-caching treasure hunt
  • Learn how to parallel park
  • Organize a flash mob
  • Fly a kite (or even better "Kite Skateboarding")
  • Go bowling (it has been years!)
  • Try fried green tomatoes
  • Attend a professional photography camp (they're field trips to places like Arches National Park or places where you camp out under the stars and learn to take pictures in all times of the day -- dusk, dawn, night stars and comets, etc. with a professional photographer) 
  • Go to a wildlife park for photographers like my friend Lori has visited.  I think they're in Alaska or Canada, but you are in a park with wolves, bears and maybe even Polar Bears.  You should have a great zoom lens, but you're actually in the park with these animals, and there's not a fence between you and them. 
  • Take a road trip by myself to explore Colorado or go to Phoenix or Reno to visit my daughter or sister. 
  • Visit places I've been wanting to see like Moab Arches National Park, San Antonio TX Riverwalk and Mono Lake and Bodie Ghost Town.  There are several places here in Colorado I haven't been to (Telluride, Marble, Pagosa Springs, Durango)
  • Go camping (I haven't been since I was a teenager).
  • Revisit places that I would love as an adult but took for granted as a teenager (Yellowstone, Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Petrified Forrest).
  • Hula Hoop (well)
  • Learn to Hula Dance (well)
  • Relive childhood foods like pop rocks, juicy fruit gum, space sticks, wax bottles with juice in them, candy necklaces and Pez.  Also, my dad brought home rice candy from Japan when I was a kid and it melted in your mouth. I haven't seen / tasted it since I was very young. 
  • Take singing lessons
  • Take voice over coaching 
  • Grow a vegetable garden
  • Give a speech, or teach a workshop
  • Host a webinar / teleseminar
  • Go rafting (not white water rapids, but a leisurely float trip like they have in Glenwood Springs)
  • Spend the night and/or take a workshop at Glen Eyre Castle in Colorado Springs
  • Volunteer at a nursing home (like adopt a grandparent)
  • Participate in laser tag and paintball
  • Watch a successful hypnosis session, like my daughter saw in High School Psychology class. Supposedly the people who were hypnotized clucked like chickens and other things that they didn't remember. Watch participants that have nothing to do with the hypnotist so I know it's not a set up. 
  • Take cooking classes
  • Have some professional photos done at a place like Glamor Shots (but more professional, not tacky, if a place exists where you're pampered all day with spa treatments, hair, make-up and wardrobe and then put in appropriate indoor/outdoor scenes for photos.  Classy, not tacky). 
  • Attend an opera.
  • Learn calligraphy
  • Find better places to view the sunset
  • Take flower arranging course
  • Learn candle making
  • Learn glass blowing
  • Learn stained glass making
  • Have a slumber party.  Yes, I know I'm 45... and yes, I said a slumber party. How fun would that be?! 
  • Learn cake decorating (and though I haven't seen either, I imagine shows like Ace of Cakes or Cake Boss probably have what I'm talking about; beautiful, tiered cakes).
  • Go skinny dipping
  • Take the Royal Gorge train and tram 
  • Ride a zip line 
  • Be an extra on a movie set
  • Go see the Iris Farm on the West side of Denver when it's open / in season
  • Have a retreat at The Hideaway located between Colorado Springs and Castle Rock 
  • Revisit places that I experienced with Chris either by myself or with a friend so I can replace the memory and association with a new one. With several better memories. 
  • Spend a short get-away a the Cheyenne Mountain Resort in Colo. Springs. 
  • Find my way out of a corn or hedge maze
  • Save some starfish (which would mean I'd have to be on an ocean beach, which I'm yearning for) 
  • Ride a roller coaster. I've ridden Lakeside's Chipmunk (hated it) and Elitch's old wooden one (hated it) and Nikki swears to me that the new roller coasters "are fun" and "smooth."  If I can hold Rosie the tarantula, maybe I can go on the roller coaster with loops where your feet hang down.  I'm putting it on the list but I reserve the right to remove it at any time! :)
  • Go on a scavenger hunt.  I think Denver has a large, organized one. 
  • Go to Color Me Mine or another pottery place to paint and glaze my own piece of pottery.  Even better, take a pottery class where I form the item from clay that I end up painting.
  • Speaking of painting, Canvas and Cocktails was so fun.  I'd love more painting.  I think I have a hidden artist wanting to emerge.  ;o)  More opportunities to paint / learn to paint.  Painting and wine is even better. 
  • Find and explore more ghost towns. 
  • Stay at Glen Eyre Castle
  • Stay at the Redstone Castle
  • Stay at the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park (but not in a "haunted" room)
  • Discover new hiking trails (there are several I'm trying to get to while the wildflowers are still in bloom). 
  • Ride gondola up Vail Mountain in summer or fall for views (friend says they give you a drink coupon for restaurant at the top) 
  • Ride SkyRide at Cheyenne Mtn. Zoo
  • Take Estes Park aerial tramway up Prospect Mtn. 
  • Try AquaGolf
  • Film on the Rocks at Red Rocks and/or free movies in the Park (Parker has them)
  • Visit and see inside of all of these Denver cathedrals   http://www.denvermagazine.com/core/pagetools.php?pageid=13750&url=/August-2010/Uplifting-Architecture/&mode=print
  • Try the indoor skydiving in Park Meadows
  • Visit Colorado's oldest carousel in Burlington, Co. It's supposed to be 100 years old or more and is restored and fully operational.  They have The Brulington Carousel Festival every September -- maybe I can go see it then.  
  • Viewing of the bats near Orient Mine.  I have to hurry on this one because the news said they're here through August.  But it's a far enough drive that I'd have to spend the night and I think it's close enough to the Great Sand Dunes that I would need make time to stop there too (and the Gator Farm is near Alamosa so I'd have to go there too.  And then, it might be close enough to try the Salida Zip Line).  You watch from a viewing area while hundreds of bats come out at dusk to feed and it's supposed to be quite a site.    http://www.olt.org/programs/bats/bats.htm;     http://www.9news.com/rss/article.aspx?storyid=143802
  • Get great lightening pictures
  • Find Crystal Mill, CO and get my own pictures of the well-photographed mill. 
  • Make a list of the various arts festivals, balloon festivals, jazz festivals and try to attend several of them. 
  • Be a vendor at an arts festival for my photography and maybe jewelry or other crafts by then. 
  • Attend a concert or event at Hudson Gardens
  • Visit The Wildlife Experience at C-470 and Lincoln
  • Visit the Wild Animal Santuary in Hudson, CO
  • Visit the Wolf Sanctuary in Colorado (I think there are a couple them, one in Divide, CO and this one http://www.komar.org/faq/travel/vacation/colorado/mission-wolf/ -- I can't believe they are petting the wolves!)
  • Go see Bishop's Castle in S. Colorado.  That's one crazy castle  http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06211/709125-37.stm
  • Try Karaoke.  Maybe.  Like the roller coaster, I reserve the right to change my mind on this one. 
  • Ride down a mountain slide like the Alpine Slide at Heritage Square or the new one in Glenwood Springs. 
  • Take the Coors Brewery tour.  I've lived here my entire life and my dad worked for Coors but I've never taken the tour. 
  • Go to a nearby reservoir and sit by the lake with my feet in the sand. 
  • Leave the house to do my work. Go to Village Inn or Panera Bread, someplace with WiFi, where I can sit with a cup of coffee or have lunch while I work remotely. 
  • Actually growing my nails and *keeping* them polished and maintained would be a new experience.  I love the look of freshly manicured hands but am too much of a Tom Boy to keep mine that way.
  • Have my legs waxed or face threaded.  Another 'maybe' that might be dropped off the list. Some spa treatment that I've never had done would be good. 
  • Stay at one of those tropical places where the swimming pool has a waterfall that you can swim under (and an in-pool bar). 
  • Find waterfalls that I can photograph and hike to.
  • Learn basic yoga.
  • Attract humming birds for up close photography.
  • Experience vendors on Denver 7's A-List  http://kmgh.cityvoter.com/contests/denver-s-7-a-list/4773/overview?utm_source=KMGH&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=vote
  • Even though the owners of the Daffodil Farm in Running Springs, CA have retired and the gardens are no longer open to visitors, a friend who lives near there said you can still see the flowers from a neighboring church.  So, if I'm ever near Running Springs in March-May, I might have to stop by for a peek.  Also, I just found this homestead called Daffodil Hill in Sutter Creek, CA  http://www.ci.sutter-creek.ca.us/daffodilhill.html
  • Visit a vineyard.
  • Learn how to do serigraphs like Gene Bauer (The Daffodil lady) has compiled in her book.  http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700013948/Forever-blooming-Amazing-daffodil-garden-is-closed-but-her-serigraphs-are-alive-in-a-new-book.html
  • Visit Rock Ledge Ranch near Garden of the Gods
  • See a firefly / lightening bug in person (I've never seen one!). 


          That will keep me busy for awhile, huh?  I may come back and add to the list as I hear about things.  Also there are some things I wanted to experience that I can now move to the "Done" list below.  

          • Attend a PHAMALy production (doing this later in August - I'll be attending PHAMALy's production of Beauty and the Beast)
          • Attend Scriprov, friend Meagan is in. 
          • Attend Brew at the Zoo (doing this in September)
          • Canvas and Cocktails 
          • Garden of the Gods 
          • Free concerts at Southlands and other area concerts in the park
          • Butterfly Pavilion (held Rosie the tarantula and stayed as long as I needed to for butterfly pictures)
          • St. Malo, church on the rock, Allenspark, CO  http://www.flickr.com/photos/tabzero/2904606823/
          • Discovered what the bell ringing was by Seven Falls / Cheyenne Canyon Inn.  It was coming from the Will Rogers Shrine 
          • Glenwood Springs Iron Mountain Tram
          • Partner with my first client as a VA (Yay!) 






          1 comment:

          Please leave a comment -- I'm always happy to hear from you!