Pages

Aug 14, 2010

Eat, Pray, Love Review (possible spoiler alert)

Forgiveness, experiencing pleasure, letting go of guilt, wearing a larger size jeans if necessary and believing in love again are some of the messages in this movie.  I hadn't read the book, but heard great things about it.  When I heard they were making a movie based on the book, and Julia Roberts was in it, I had high expectations.  I deliberately didn't read the book at that point because movies often pale in comparison to their source.  

I think how a movie is edited sets the tone for the movie.  Of course the story line, acting, directing and music all tie in for the complete package.  I already expected a great story line because the book was a best seller.  So maybe the person who takes a book and turns it into a script and the folks who edit the movie have the most influence on how it connects with the audience.  It didn't have a very entertaining "tone" to me.  But, I enjoyed it enough.  I think it depends on where you are on your journey with life, God, family, friends and love that will decide how you react to the movie.  It's great to see Julia in a movie again but I never really felt connected to her character. But because of where I am at on my journey and recent events in my life, much of it was relatable to me. I read reviews about it being void of joy.  But, she was healing and grieving the loss of a marriage and immersing herself in new experiences and friendships.  The year after a marriage ends typically is void of joy.  She used it as an opportunity to grow in other ways and to heal.   There was not betrayal in her marriage and she is the one who wanted to leave -- but as was mentioned in the movie, both were left with broken hearts so there was a healing process that needed to happen. 

Those of you who know me well, know that I cry at commercials (if they're deserving), yet this movie didn't reach in and grab me and make me cry like it had the potential to do.  The only part that got me choked up was when Richard Jenkins' character (Richard from Texas) tells Julia's character (Liz) to "Believe in Love again."  If you're happily married, you're not really into these emotional bits, or you've never had the misfortune of being betrayed and having your trust completely shattered, maybe that line is laughable or corny.  But it got to me, because I'm closed to the possibility of love again.   Men like Javier Bardem's character (Felipe) don't exist and I don't have the energy to trust again.   Julia's character hadn't even been betrayed.  They just "grew apart". This movie had a lot to do with her forgiving herself. Whereas my journey is about forgiving others.  So, it depends on where you find yourself and where you've come from that will determine how much you can relate to scenes in the movie.  I don't know how the book was, but the movie didn't really explain why Liz felt so empty and lost her appetite for life.  If we were with her on that journey, it might have made us happy for her when she ate and got her figurative appetite back again. 

There were a couple of trailer scenes that I don't even remember seeing/hearing in the movie.  The "this is my no carb left behind experiment" quote or the scene with her mom where she asks her when she accepted the life that she had. I thought I was paying attention ... were they in there? 

The scenery was spectacular!  And as one reviewer put it, the whole thing was like the Hunk Olympics: Billy with the bronze; James gets the silver; and Javier – pure gold.  Oh, and I think the funniest scene was when they were trying to get into their new jeans. 

One thing it had was a lot of great quotes.  I've listed some below:

  • "When a man who looks like Yoda hands you a prophecy you have to respond."
  • "Ruin is a gift. Ruin is the road to transformation."
  • "You want to get to the castle, you've got to swim the moat."
  • "Having kids is like getting a tattoo on your face. You have to be committed."
  • "Dolce far niente."  (The sweetness of doing nothing)
  • "He's in the room with a naked girl.  He's won the lottery."
  • "I'm tired of waking up every day and recalling every single thing that I ate the day before.  Counting every calorie I consumed so I know exactly how much self-loathing to take into the shower."
  • "God dwells in us, as us."
  • "To lose balance sometimes for love is part of living a balanced life."
  • "You don't need a man.  You need a champion."
  • "All American girls want is pasta and sausage!”
  • "Believe in Love again."













No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment -- I'm always happy to hear from you!