Pages

Nov 10, 2009

30 Days of Thanks - Day 10

Today I'm continuing the theme of things that I'm thankful for, yet have actually complained about.

I am thankful that I have a Home.

"What?" you say. "You've complained about having a home? Really?"

Well, not that I have one, no. But I've complained about the home itself. You know, the typical homeownership woes and then some.

I have wanted a different home in a different location for just about as long as I've been in this particular house (13 years) for various reasons. My rationale ranged from the memories attached to the house and the noisy teenage neighbors in the towering walk-out right behind me, to the long list of things wrong with the house, the expense and general upkeep.

My back yard could win a "worst yard" contest. In fact, I'm trying to find such a contest so maybe as the grand prize winner, I would receive landscape design and materials help. In fact, I've had daydreams about an Extreme Home Makeover Back Yard Edition where they bulldoze the noisy teenagers house behind me, thus extending my back yard to the size of a normal lot. (LOL - just kidding). Seriously, it's tiny (described as "low maintenance" by the Ryland sales team). And what's there has become overrun with a type of weed that I believe is called goat weed or puncture vine. It's an evil, evil weed! Man nor beast dare not step barefoot out the back door or upon their first step will have a foot full of these nasty, nasty thorns. I've used weed killer, rakes, yard vacs - they won't go away. My dog and I don't make use of the backyard because it's so horrible.

The house faces north, so the sun doesn't help melt snow. The carpet needs replaced, the kitchen tile needs re-grouted, the roof needs replaced from the June hail storm, I have some drywall work needing done, the driveway is crumbling from rock salt (used to melt snow without the benefit of the sun), several light switches won't stay on, the front porch needs stained, there may be an electrical issue in the office and several other pesky, sometimes expensive "problems". Okay, yes, houses need upkeep. I knew that going in.

But Colorado has already had a couple of below freezing nights and quite a hefty snow storm, before we even reached Halloween this year. Was I complaining about my driveway when I was safe and warm inside my home then?

Emphatically, "No." (Okay, I complained about having to shovel snow just a little, geesh).

A couple of walls may need drywall or paint, but I have walls. My shingles may need replaced, but "thank you, God" that I have a roof over my head. I have shelter from the wind, hail and snow and I have never been without a bed. I have never had to experience the need to sleep in my car or be forced out on the streets completely. I've never had to worry about frostbite or hypothermia when I fall asleep. I've always had a soft pillow to rest my head on instead of a coat or a bag of trash. The only time I've sought shelter in a cardboard box is when I was little and pretended the box was my playhouse.

Halleluiah! I HAVE A HOME! No complaints here.

So many of us are simply a paycheck away from a different reality though. And more and more of the homeless are families with children. Many are veterans. I often look outside on a snowy, frigid night, while I sip on my hot cocoa and cuddle up on the couch, and wonder if everyone in need of shelter was able to make it inside. Thank you, God for my thorny, stupid (I mean precious) back yard. :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment -- I'm always happy to hear from you!