Pages

Nov 15, 2009

30 Days of Thanks - Day 15



Today I am thankful for Tea.   

As I type this, I'm savoring a cup of Bigelow Constant Comment Green tea, flavored with rind of oranges and sweet spice.  Mmmm, "sipalicious". 

Today, tea is the most drunk beverage in the world after water, we drink about 15,000 cups every second.  As I try to wean myself from diet soda (it's not easy!), I've rediscovered my appreciation for tea.  It provides a healing beverage alternative in all kinds of flavors. Tea has a tantalizing flavor and aroma. It can refresh your spirit, soothe your soul, relax both your mind and body, relieve anxiety and calm nerves. Tea can be served hot or over ice and can be warming and satisfying as well as refreshing and invigorating. The blissful effects of tea can help you wind down, relax and meditate.

Health Benefits:
  • Tea not only tastes great, it has also long been recognized for its healing properties, from the antioxidants in green and white tea to the restorative properties of various herbal blends.  Antioxidants are believed to have health benefits including cancer prevention, cholesterol reduction, and protection against stroke and heart attack. Black tea also is rich in manganese and potassium, and it contains some B-vitamins. For people trying to cut their caffeine consumption, switching from coffee to green tea is a very healthy alternative. Scientists have shown a correlation between green tea consumption and reduced cancer risk, weight loss, and improved heart health.
  • Green tea also possesses a small amount of natural fluoride, an element which strengthens bones. And anyone who has ever had a sore throat can definitely attest to the soothing power of green tea with honey in it.
  • Red tea (Rooibos) can be used as a treatment for skin ailments, as an immune system booster, a way to slow the aging process, and a remedy for conditions from insomnia to headaches to anxiety. Also, rooibos does not contain oxalic acid, the compound found in some other types of tea that can cause kidney stones.
  • Benefits of herbal tea depend on the herb being steeped. Camomile, linden flower, and lavender teas are all highly calming and can help with sleep issues, peppermint and ginger teas aid digestion and can stave off nausea, lemon balm tea can help soothe a headache, and raspberry leaf tea is thought to bring on labor in late pregnancy, to offer just a few examples of this versatile and beneficial type of tea.

What I like:
I have a shelf in my cupboard devoted to tea which includes the below. My favorites are...
  • Celestial Seasonings:
    • Tuscany Orange Spice (black tea)
    • Cinnamon Apple Spice (herbal tea)
    • Tension Tamer (herb tea)
    • Nutcracker Sweet Holiday Tea (black tea
  • Begelow:
    • Green Tea with oranges and sweet spice
  • Stash:
    • Licorice Spice (herbal)
    • Orange Spice (herbal)
Memories:
I also have memories around tea which include ...
  • When I was pregnant with Nikki, I constantly craved iced tea and beef jerky (LOL!)
  • The story dad always told about why he didn't like tea.
  • Mom brought me a teapot and tea leaves as a momento from London (a trip I was supposed to go on but couldn't because of back surgery). 
  • Numerous Red Hat Society tea gatherings with my mom at the Brown Palace Hotel, the Broker in Boulder, Molly Brown House, The Holiday Chalet, The Hucklebery, The House of Windsor and more.  
  • And, my love for tea led to my teapot and teacup collection.  I pulled out just a few for this post.  Enjoy the pictures!












No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment -- I'm always happy to hear from you!