Pages

Nov 13, 2009

30 Days of Thanks - Day 13



Today I'm thankful for:

- An inspiring blog post
I learned today that my Day #9 post of 30 Days of Thanks (about being thankful to have a home) inspired Debbie Lonergan to also write about being thankful for her home. She mentioned my name and linked to my post in her blog.  I'm thankful to know that people are actually reading these (LOL!) and that my writing could actually have the ability to inspire.  That really made my day.

- New and old friends
This week has been unexpectedly 'social'. I met a friend from my former church for lunch over the weekend; I reconnected with friends from Starz, two of whom attended the American Humane jewelry fundraiser event on Wednesday.  And, on that same night, I met up with 5 Starz friends for drinks.  Thursday, I had a VTP reunion call (or as Jennifer coined it, "the VTP Aftercare Program"). Today, two co-workers took me shopping during lunch, which was a first in the 2 1/2 years I've been with American Humane. I was also in touch with a friend that I've known since my U S West days (which goes back quite a ways).  And I'll be attending Karen's holiday open house tomorrow, where more Starz friends will be and a neighbor's get-together next weekend. These are very special connections and each has lifted me up this week.

- Jewelry
This week has had a unique jewelry theme. Wednesday was the jewelry event.  I refrained from treating myself to a purchase, but today I received a red choker necklace as a 'thank you' from Sarah (the designer) for helping with the event.  Also today, my co-worker who makes jewelry left an earring/necklace set on my desk that she custom made for me as a surprise. Keeping with the butterfly theme (see 30 Days of Thanks - Day 8 blog), she made me a gorgeous earring and necklace set that incorporates butterflies. There are three co-workers that make jewelry and two of them took me to Michael's to shop for jewelry making materials today.  They think I need a new hobby (translate "distraction"), so I scooped up an arm full of stuff until I realized this is going to be a very expensive hobby, and then put most back. I did get a kit and a few other items to start dabbling and learning the techniques. As prominent a theme as jewelry was this week - it's not really the jewelry that I'm grateful for.  Jewelry was the vehicle that led me to some quality connections and conversations (and now I have a new hobby!).



 

- Grandma Major
My grandma (on mom's side) passed away in 1993, but today, November 13th would have been her birthday.  I'm thinking of her and will forever be grateful for the time she was with us.

- Pets
I may repeat this one several times over the 30 days because I'm really, really thankful for my animals. But I'm specifically thinking about them on this day, because last night as I was turning out lights to go to bed, I was looking for Kali (my kitty), and couldn't find her.  So I looked in the dog kennel to say goodnight to Stanley, my Sheltie, and guess where Kali was?  That's right, both Stan and Kali were snuggling together in the dog crate.  It's one of the most heart-warming sites I've seen in a long time. I would have captured it in a picture, but they moved by the time I reached for the camera.  I will be watching those two.  ;)





- Shatterproof Christmas Tree Ornaments
Speaking of pets...I was convinced that I need to have a Christmas this year, which includes putting up a tree despite having a new kitten. So I found a bunch of pretty shatterproof ornaments tonight that will replace all of the breakables and I'm going for it.  I'm looking forward to recruiting my daughter to help me put up the tree when she visits for Thanksgiving.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment -- I'm always happy to hear from you!